Dr. Melissa Madeson, Ph.D., is a Licensed Professional Counselor at Kaleidoscope Behavioral Health in Flower Mound, TX, an adjunct professor, yoga therapist, and an accomplished writer.
Melissa believes in a holistic approach to mental health and wellness and uses a person-centered approach when working with clients.
Currently in a full-time private practice, she uses her experience with performance psychology, teaching, and designing collegiate wellness courses and yoga therapy to address a range of specific client needs.
- LPC (Licensed Professional Counselor): Kaleidoscope Behavioral Health
- Associate Professor: Hardin Simmons University
- Yoga Therapist: Fit & Faithful Wellness
First- and Second-Author Publications
- Madeson, M. (2019). Mindfulness in life: An approach to avoiding regret. Journal of yoga physical therapy and rehabilitation.
- Ruot, C., Kelso, B., Edwards, L., Madeson, M., (2015) The relationship of upper extremity isokinetic strength to javelin throwing: A pilot study. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research; Supplement.
- Madeson, M. (2014). Review of “How to Stay Christian in College” B. Buzzington. Journal of Education and Christian Belief, 20 (1).
- Madeson, M. (2013). Review of “Religion in Schools: Debating Issues in American Education” Charles J. Russo (ed). Journal of Education and Christian Belief, 17(1).
- Madeson, M., Hultquist, C. & Cotter, A. (2010). A Phenomenological Investigation of Women’s Experiences With Personal Training. International Journal of Exercise Science, 3(3).
- Dickson, N., Ruot, C., Madeson, M., & Edwards, L. (2009). A Descriptive and Comparative Study of Physical and Performance Characteristics of NCAA Division II and Division III Softball Players. International Journal of Exercise Science, 2(1).
- Madeson, M. (Spring, 2009). Eating Disorders in Men and Women. ACSM FitSociety Newsletter.
- Fisher, L.A., & Madeson, M. (2008). “Put me in, coach!”: Sport, psychology, and young adolescent development. Invited chapter in Vince Anfara (Ed.), Handbook of Young Adolescent Research.
Education & Degrees
- Ph.D. Sport & Exercise Psychology: University of Tennessee, Knoxville
- MEd Counseling & Human Development: Hardin Simmons University, Abilene TX
- MS Kinesiology: California State University, Sacramento
- BA Psychology: California State University, Sacramento
Why Should You Trust What Melissa Writes?
Melissa believes that evidenced-based research should support education and the information we share. While personal experience and opinion are valid and have a place in writing, objectivity is crucial as an educator and therapist.
Mindfulness in Counseling: 8 Best Techniques & Interventions
In the last few decades, there has been a growing interest in mindfulness among health care professionals. The importance of mindfulness in the healing process [...]
Your Ultimate Accelerated Resolution Therapy Guide
Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) can be devastating, and millions of people across the globe experience it. The National Center for PTSD estimates that about 7–8% [...]
Mentalization-Based Therapy Guide: Best Worksheets and Techniques
To neuroscientists, psychoanalysts, existential philosophers, and various types of mental health practitioners, the idea of mentalization is both foundational and captivating. Use of the term [...]
12+ Breathing Exercises for Managing Anxiety (Incl. PDF)
Breathing is more than a physical requirement to live. It is also foundational to spiritual, mental, and emotional aspects of life. Hindus call it prana, [...]
11 Best Tools & Questions for Work-Life Balance Coaching
In our fast-paced, money-driven, demanding society, the concept of finding and maintaining work–life balance can seem like an impossible dream. The hours at work, inflexible [...]
Embodiment Practices: How to Heal Through Movement
When was the last time you felt truly connected to the sensations of your body and fully aware of the present moment? It is easy [...]
Different Types of Therapy: Choosing the Right Treatment
The importance of mental health is becoming a widely accepted aspect of human development and wellbeing. According to the National Association of Mental Illness (2021), [...]
Transference vs Countertransference in Therapy: 6 Examples
For ages, the term “transference” has been associated with pathology, enmeshed boundaries, and unhealthy therapy sessions. In reality, transference occurs within the context of relationships [...]
Mobile Health Apps: Providing Better Care to Patients
Luckily, it was during an era of rapidly advancing technology that the COVID-19 pandemic hit. While the outside world was put on hold and life [...]
The Importance of Counseling: 14 Proven Benefits of Therapy
Counseling is known as one of the greatest helping professions on Earth, yet many people remain perplexed about its true meaning, purpose, and intention. Most [...]
Therapeutic Relationships in Counseling: 4 Phases Explained
Psychotherapy has been described as a dance, “a synchronicity of the mind and body that occurs between therapist and client” (Schore, 2014, p. 388). Psychotherapy [...]
Emotionally Focused Therapy: 17 Tools for Your EFT Sessions
Emotions are one of the most complex biological processes of humankind. The word dates back to 1579 from the French word emouvoir, which means “to [...]
Marriage Counseling: Staying Happily Married Through Therapy
Love. Relationships. Marriage. Such powerful words that evoke meaning and emotion, hopes and dreams, memories, and heartache. Marriage is a culturally recognized union involving a [...]
Characteristics of Effective Counseling and Counselors
Counseling, therapy, and psychology are often stereotyped by society with misconceptions and stigma. However, effective therapy, quality counseling, and psychotherapy are about a relationship, developing [...]
Logotherapy: Viktor Frankl’s Theory of Meaning
As the sun cascades behind the distant mountains, it creates a beautiful array of orange, peach, and pink. When we bask in the glory of [...]
Self-Esteem Journals, Prompts, PDFs, and Ideas
Healthy self-esteem gives you the freedom to be YOU and fully enjoy life. When we are comfortable with who we are, we can develop more [...]